Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tastes Good

Everybody has a sense of taste. I would argue that some have a very bad sense of taste, but it is still theirs. Taste simply refers to what we like and what we don't like. When you say you don't like a concert you listened to, or a tune someone calls on a jam session, did you ever consider maybe you are lying to yourself?

Maybe it's just me, but I found myself throwing a lot of "nah, I don't like it" in the past over stuff that today I actually like very much. If I try to look back and be honest with myself, I realize that a lot of the times the reason I didn't like the song, artist, style etc' was that I didn't get it. When I say I didn't get it I mean it was either too complicated for me to feel relaxed enough to enjoy it, or too simple that I automatically dismissed it. 

The day I finally asked myself  "Do I really not like it, or is it just too difficult for me to enjoy right now?" really opened me up to new experiences. Obviously, it didn't happen suddenly in one day. But, it was a process that matured inside of me for while. 

Today I always make sure to ask myself that question before I say I don't like a song, a style of music, or an artist. If it's something that I just can't handle right now, it's ok, it doesn't mean I won't like it later after I understand it better. And if it doesn't strike any chord with me, that's ok too, blame it on my taste.

Thanks for reading. 

Tell me if you ever had the same experience and how did you deal with it.

Yaron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment